“Our stories are what make us unique. They are like fingerprints and snowflakes, and stars in the Milky Way-none of them are the same.” – Michelle Phan
Are you ready for some girl talk? Yes? Then this is a book for you. I absolutely loved this book. Enjoyed every page and struggled to put it down. Michelle Phan COVERS all the ‘girly’ topics; make up, fashion, beauty routines, organizing your closet,…etc.
I like that she shares her personal life without giving too much detail; often the line between public and private life is over stepped. Phan shares enough to inspire but not so much that people feel that they know every detail of her life.
There is so much to learn from this book. Here are some of the things I learnt:
- That there’s 29 year old girl called Michelle Phan. Lol. I am big Nicole Guerriero fan and she mentioned this book on one of her YouTube videos. I did some research and decided to purchase it. Before that, I had never heard of Michelle Phan.
- Michelle Phan’s ‘life story’: Michelle grew up in a single parent household. Her mom worked at a nail salon and, like majority of single parent homes, struggled to make ends meet. She details the inner conflict she had regarding ‘her place in the world’ and the career she would follow and how she developed into a CEO, blogger and author. Interesting enough, Phan’s mother hoped that her daughter would enter the medical profession but Phan was determined to have a career in art. Through a ‘miracle’, as Phan puts it, her family got enough money together for her first semester at an art and design college. The second ‘miracle’, leading to her success on YouTube, was receiving a ‘Macbook’ her freshman year.
- Phan also shares techniques and software she uses, what worked and what didn’t.
- There are lots of photos in the book which gave me ideas on how to improve photography for my blog posts. (Thanks Michelle!)
- We have heard it several times: ‘There is no map to success.’ and it is reiterated in Michelle Phan’s book. There was no guarantee that she would become a YouTube sensation or a CEO but she followed her passion and grabbed every opportunity that came her way.
- The book has interesting makeup, beauty and fashion tips. There are even tips on how to put a good CV together, advice regarding dress code and a section called ‘modern manners’.
I have never watched any of her videos before reading ‘Make up: Your Life Long guide to Success. Online and off”. I did watchone after reading the book and I didn’t enjoy her videos as much.
It’s definitely an inspiring book, almost like ‘from rags to riches’ type thing. I would give it an 8 of 10.
Let me know what you’re reading in the comments…